Couchant ram from the Tirhaqa Temple at Kawa, Dongola Province, Sudan (Oxford excavations 1930-1).
Ram from the Tirhaqa Temple, Kawa by Sudanese, 688663 BC
© Ashmolean Museum
- Grey granite
- 79 cm
- Acquired in:
- Presented by:
- Sir J R Macdonald through The Art Fund
The ram, with horns and disk on its head is the embodiment of Amen-re. On a flat plinth with forelegs doubled back. Beneath the chin, stands Tirhaka. There is a socket for a gilded bronze sundisk on the top of the head. Hieroglyphic inscriptions give the names and titles of the king.
Prof and Mrs LL Griffith.