The watercolour shows the west front of Christ Church looking northwards up St.

Aldate's. On the left, the demolition of Cardinal Wolsey's almshouses is in progress to make a grander entrance for Pembroke College. Turner had a long association with Christ Church. This work was acquired with assistance from the Wolfson Foundation.

Provenance

Charles Heath; John Ruskin, 1840-1846; H A AJ Munro of Novar; 1877 Vokins; Mrs Morris; Howard 1915; Mrs Brocklehurst, 1917; G E Leeming; Agnew 1920; S A Courltard, 1925; by descent Sotheby's, 1995; Agnew's.




Exhibitions at Ashmolean Museum

Back to top