A Regency Colza oil hanging light with six arms with foliate and shell mounts interspersed with lion masks.
Hanging light by James Deville, 1817
© Gawthorpe Hall
- Bronze, ormolu & glass
- 134.5 x 96.5 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £47,784 ( Total: £110,569; Export stopped)
- Acquired in:
The reservoir has a harvest fruits band and is surmounted by an eagle. Fitted for electricity with six later glass shades.
Probably acquire for Gawthorpe Hall by Robert Shuttleworth, thence by descent to Lord Shuttleworth; sold from Gawthorpe in late 1940s; Collection of Humphrey Whitbread from 1951.