The Jennings Dog
- Art Funded
- 105 cm
- Private collector
It was probably copied from a Greek bronze original of 2nd century BC that had found its way to Rome. The statue's 18th century owner, Henry Jennings, christened it The Dog of Aleibiades because part of its tail is missing: it reminded him of the story, recounted in Plutarch, of the Athenian statesman Alcibiades who cut off the tail of his dog to give the Athenians something to make fun of other than himself. The work was acquired after a successful public campaign launched by the museum.
Purchased by H C Jennings in Rome, 1753-1756 from B Cavaceppi; Mr T Duncombe of Duncombe Park, auction in 1816; by descent to present owner Lord Feversham.
Daily, 10am – 5.30pm (Fri until 8.30pm)
Closed 24 – 26 Dec and 1 Jan