The tent is made from four separate sections.

In contrast to the plain-coloured fabric of the exterior, the interior is highly decorative, consisting of panels with repeated acanthus-cusped niches, with vases of symmetrical flower heads and stems.

Provenance

Possibly the tent in which Lord Cornwallis and his entourage were formally received by tipu Sahib's sons on 24 February 1792, following the Treaty of Mysore; acquired by 1st Early of Powis and brought to Powis Castle circa 1800.


Powis Castle and Garden

Red Lane, Welshpool, Powys, SY21 8RF
01938 551 920
Website

Opening times

Castle and Garden open daily (closed 25th December). Please visit the Powis Castle website for full seasonal opening times.

Back to top