Dawkins and Wood Discovering the Ruins of Palmyra
- Art Funded
- 310 x 389 cm
- Art Fund grant
- £51,492 (Total: £404,145; Tax remission)
- C J Dawkins
The painting commemorates the important discovery of the Ruins of Palmyra, and the general interest in antiques at that time
Commissioned from Gavin Hamilton by Henry Dawkins of Standlynch, Wiltshire and Overnoxton Park, Oxon, and thence by descent; on loan to the Hunterian Museum, University of Glasgow, since 1954.