Pair of Silver Seal Matrices by John Roos

These are the only known surviving Chester Palatinate seal matrices.

Details

Medium:
Silver
Dimensions:
14 cm
Art Fund grant:
£1,000 ( Total: £40,000)
Acquired in:
1996
Vendor:
David Morris

All seal matrices of royal authority were broken and defaced when there was a change of seal, in order to prevent fraud. However, the 1706 Chester matrices are not defaced, presumably because they were rendered invalid with the abolition of the Palatinate in 1830 rather than being replaced with new matrices for a continuing institution. The obverse matrix depicts the equestrian figure of Queen Anne and the reverse matrix carries the arms of the County Palatine of Chester.

Provenance

Used by the Exchequer of the County Palatine of Chester 1706-1830; Phillip Humberson, Seal Keeper of the Chester Exchequer, a partner in the firm of Chester solicitors whose successors sold them at Phillips, Chester, 2.11.94; present owner

Venue details

Grosvenor Museum 27 Grosvenor Street, CHESTER Cheshire CH1 2DD 01244 972 197 www.cheshirewestmuseums.co.uk

Entry details

Free to all

Mon – Sat, 10.30am – 5pm
Sun,1pm – 4pm

Share this article