This sparkling view of Venice is among the most attractive painted by Guardi.

The picture was painted from the Piazzetta with the church and monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore on the left and the eastern end of the island of the Guidecca with the Campanile of San Giovanni Battista and the church of the Zitelle on the right. His technique is more spontaneous than Canaletto's, employing flickering brushstrokes and an enchantingly vivacious light to evoke the magical atmosphere of the city. The painting was part of the Ernest Edward Cook's collection who bequeathed the entire contents of his house to the Art Fund. The bequest comprised of over 150 paintings, tapestries, furniture, silver and porcelain and was distributed to nearly 100 UK galleries.

Provenance

Margaret Ingram, 1842; A.H. Godfrey, sold Christie's 15 March 1929 (89); E E Cook


Temple Newsam House

Temple Newsam Estate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS15 0AE
0113 336 7461
Website

Opening times

Tues - Sun, 10:30am - 5pm (Farm closes at 4pm)

Last admission 45 minutes before closing

Back to top