Venice: S Giorgio Maggiore with the Guidecca and the Zitelle
- Art Funded
- 47.6 x 87.6 cm
- Bequeathed by
- Ernest Edward Cook through The Art Fund
The picture was painted from the Piazzetta with the church and monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore on the left and the eastern end of the island of the Guidecca with the Campanile of San Giovanni Battista and the church of the Zitelle on the right. His technique is more spontaneous than Canaletto's, employing flickering brushstrokes and an enchantingly vivacious light to evoke the magical atmosphere of the city. The painting was part of the Ernest Edward Cook's collection who bequeathed the entire contents of his house to the Art Fund. The bequest comprised of over 150 paintings, tapestries, furniture, silver and porcelain and was distributed to nearly 100 UK galleries.
Margaret Ingram, 1842; A.H. Godfrey, sold Christie's 15 March 1929 (89); E E Cook