The first Master of the Art Workers Guild (1884-5), George Simonds was a member of the old Berkshire brewery family that founded Simonds (now Courage's) in Bridge Street, Reading.

He spent his formative years studying, training, and working as a sculptor in Europe and is known principally for portrait busts and public monuments. The present white marble bas-relief sculptures, two of a series of three plaques carved in shallow stacciato relief and entitled The Uses of Fire, reflect Simonds's European background.

Reading Museum

Town Hall, Blagrave Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 1QH
0118 937 3400

Opening times

Tue – Sat, 10am – 4pm Closed between Christmas and New Year

Back to top