The Royal William Victualling Yard was designed by the engineer John Rennie and built between 1824 and 1835 by his son, later Sir John Rennie.
The Royal William Victualling Yard at Plymouth by William Williams of Plymouth, c. 1836
© Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery
- Oil on canvas Dimensions: 71 x 92 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £2,792 ( Total: £9,584)
- Acquired in:
The Yard covers some fourteen acres of which six were reclaimed from the sea. A thirteen-foot statue of King William IV still surmounts the impressive entrance gate from Cremill Street. The central building of the range is surmounted by a cupola which can be seen here, while the side buildings are dominated instead by prominent chimneys. William Williams was born at Penryn, Cornwall but after his early years he moved to Plymouth. His oeuvre consists largely of West Country views, particularly of river, coastal, and moorland scenes.
Christie's, 10/11/94, lot 533.
Entry detailsFree to all
Plymouth City Museum and Art Gallery is currently closed for major redevelopment and is set to re-open in spring 2020. We are running a 'Museum On Tour' programme throughout this period featuring a range of offsite events, exhibitions and community projects. Please see website for full details.