Roman trulla by Unknown Artist

The base of this Roman trulla or saucepan has four concentric rings and the handle, bordered by a cable-moulding, terminates in a circular expansion with raised cable moulding around a central perforation.


28 x 16 x 9 cm
Art Fund grant:
£1,500 ( Total: £1,750)
Acquired in:
Dr Nicholas Reeves

The handle of the trulla bears three inscriptions recording the names of the bronzesmith (albeit abbreviated), of the cohort, of the centurion, and of the individual owner.


Revd W.H.Mills; donated to Louth Museum in 1908; Leicester Museum Conservation laboratory in 1963; whereabouts unknown until Sotheby's sale, 28/10/93, lot 119, ex-collection , Lord McAlpine; bought by Rupert Wace, from whom purcased by Dr Nicholas Re

Venue details

Louth Museum 4 Broadbank, LOUTH Lincolnshire LN11 0EQ 01507 601211

Entry details

Free with National Art Pass (standard entry £3.50)

Apr – Oct
Wed – Sat, 10am – 4pm