Haig was the best known and most admired architectural artist of his day.

Bradford Town Hall, with its combination of a Florentine campanile and early French Gothic detail, is one of the city's largest and most significant public buildings, designed and built by the Bradford partnership of Henry Lockwood and William Mawson in 1869-73. This watercolour was included in Lockwood and Mawson's winning entry for the competition for the design of the Town Hall in 1869. The main entrance hall was remodelled in a baroque style by W Williamson in 1913, and the part of the building seen in Haig's watercolour was substantially altered in the 1900s when an extension by Norman Shaw was built on to the original structure.


Private collection, sold through Jeremy Cooper Ltd.

Back to top