The half-length figure in this painting represents Saint Agatha.

The Saint is seen to be gazing upward and her right hand crosses her wounded breast. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top