The centre of this painting is dominated by the crucifixion.

The Magdalen embraces the base of the cross in the centre of the foreground. The Virgin is supported by a group of secondary figures to the left and St. John stands alone on the right-hand side of the painting. Surrounding the cross is a group of angels and a pelican is placed at its summit. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Licit Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

Howell Wills collection; Sir Cuthbert Quilter; Sir Rennell Rodd; F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top