This landscape painting is dominated by the figures of the Holy Family in the centre, with the young Baptist in the bottom right of the painting.

In the left background, the Holy Family is shown departing with the donkey. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top