The left middle ground of this painting is dominated by a large windmill.

Smaller windmills lie across the receding landscape. A procession of figures and donkeys make their way from the left foreground towards the horizon. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top