This canal scene is framed by buildings on either side.
Il Rio dei Mendicanti by Francesco Guardi, 17801790
© York Art Gallery
- Oil on canvas
- 33.6 x 45 cm
- Acquired in:
- Presented by:
- F D Lycett Green through The Art Fund
In the middle distance, a house on the left-hand side of the painting gives way to a bridge over the canal. This bridge gives access to the Ospidale Mendicanti, later known as the Ospidale Civile on the right-hand side of the canal. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.
Mrs Curling; F.D. Lycett Green.