St. John the Evangelist
- Art Funded
- 132 x 96.5 cm
- Presented by
- F D Lycett Green through The Art Fund
He sits before a column which is draped by a curtain and a scroll runs diagonally across Saint John's robe. The saint is identifiable by his iconographical attribute, the eagle, on the right. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.
Brunati collection, Milan; F.D. Lycett Green.