The convert, holding a rosary, sits at a table covered with devotional books.

Behind him, an angel points upward to a crown. The crown is encircled by Latin text and occupies the top left corner of the painting. This scene takes place against a background which is dominated by a painting of the Crucifixion. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

Hospital de la Caridad, Seville; Tomas Harirs; F.D. Lycett Green.


York Art Gallery

Exhibition Square, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 7EW
01904 687 687
Website

Opening times

Mon - Sun, 10am - 5pm



Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top