This painting originally belonged to a series of three panels form the principal altarpiece in the church of Santa Maria dei Servi in Sienna.
St Clement Striking the Rock by Bernadino Fungai, form 1450 to 1516
© York Art Gallery
- Oil on linen or wood
- 43.1 x 65 cm
- Acquired in:
- Presented by:
- F D Lycett Green through The Art Fund
In the foreground, St. Clement strikes the rock below the Holy Lamb. Convicts line up on the right-hand side, while the stonebreakers line up in the middle ground behind the Saint. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.
F.D. Lycett Green.