The Madonna and Child are seated in the foreground of this painting before a dark green backcloth.

This backcloth serves as a divider between the immediate foreground and distant landscape background. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

Sir William Neville Adby; Lady Violet Melcheth; F.D. Lycett Green




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top