In this panel lunette, Christ stands on the edge of an open sarcophagus, around which are sleeping soldiers.

This scene takes place against a landscape background which is rendered on a gold ground. This lunette was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

William Graham; F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top