This lustrous little panel is among the earliest of his works and reveals the characteristics of his style: a refined Mannerist elegance in the treatment of figures, coupled with an emotional intensity in their poses and their expressions, evident here in the vehement attitude of the angel, which reveals his interest in the more dramatic currents of Baroque.

The painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

F.D. Lycett Green.


York Art Gallery

Exhibition Square, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 7EW
01904 687 687
Website

Opening times

Mon - Sun, 10am - 5pm



Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top