This scene is painted against a background of buildings and trees, which can be glimpsed through the arcaded colonnade behind the Virgin.

In the centre of the painting, the Virgin is seated with the child on her lap. She is accompanied by Joseph on the right and surrounded by angels in the foreground. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

Warneck collection; F.D. Lycett Green.


York Art Gallery

Exhibition Square, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 7EW
01904 687 687
Website

Opening times

Mon - Sun, 10am - 5pm



Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top