In this half-length portrait, the bearded sitter is shown wearing a cap, looking up from a book that he holds in his hands.

He would appear to be leaning on some form of a balustrade. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top