In this half-length portrait, the sitter leans slightly towards the left and holds a half open missal with both hands.

This portrait of a scholar was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

Borghese collection; Hume collection; Lord Brownlow; F.D. Lycett Green.


York Art Gallery

Exhibition Square, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 7EW
01904 687 687
Website

Opening times

Mon - Sun, 10am - 5pm



Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top