This painting has an arched top and is tightly bound, with the Virgin and Child occupying its centre.

Saint John sits behind the virgin on the left, while Saint Jerome sits on the right and there are two books in the bottom left of the painting. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

Col. W. Woods; F.D. Lycett Green




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top