Top made in Glen tilt marble, fitted with panelled doors concealing twin tiers of six drawers sliding on side runners.

Inscription on the doors of the cabinet reads 'For/Mrs Barrows/Oak Book Commode/Pubd. Augt. 1816'. Bullock was a pioneer in the use of native materials, partly of necessity since he was working during and immediately after the Napoleonic Wars.

Provenance

This piece possibly that recorded in the Blair Castle accounts on 12 July 1817.


Fitzwilliam Museum

Trumpington Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 1RB
01223 332900
Website

Opening times

Tue – Sat, 10am – 5pm

Sun & Bank Holidays, 12noon – 5pm

Closed Mon, 24 – 26, 31 Dec and 1 Jan



Exhibitions at Fitzwilliam Museum

Back to top