On the left is the 14th century Abbey gate, which has remained unaltered.

Beyond can be seen St James's Church (now the Cathedral), the Norman Tower, and the Tower of St Mary's Church. The Georgian facade, which was added to the building on the right in 1789, is unchanged apart from the portico. This building, now known as the Athenaeum, has been used as Subscription Rooms since 1804.

Moyse's Hall Museum

Moyses Hall Museum, Cornhill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP33 1DX
01284 706 183

Opening times

Mon – Sat, 10am – 5pm Sun, 12noon – 4pm

Last entry one hour before closing Closed Bank Holidays

Back to top