St Simon by Guiseppe Mazzuoli

Bozzetto for over-life-size marble figure of the Saint in the right-hand transept of the Brompton Oratory.

Details

Medium:
Terracotta
Dimensions:
38 cm
Art Fund grant:
£650 ( Total: £1,250)
Acquired in:
1971
Vendor:
Heim Gallery

The series of apostles was originally commissioned for Siena Cathedral. During late 19th Century restorations, the statues were removed to 'restore the Gothic Purity', sold to a collector and presented to the Brompton Oratory in 1895.

Provenance

Baron Friedrich von Stumm

Venue details

Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery Chamberlain Square, BIRMINGHAM West Midlands B3 3DH 0121 303 1966 www.bmag.org.uk

Entry details

Free with National Art Pass

Mon – Thu, 10am – 5pm
Fri, 10.30am – 5pm
Sat – Sun, 10am – 5pm

Share this article