The Casino was built by Sir William Chambers in 1769 in the grounds of the first Earl of Charlemont's villa of Marino at Clontarf on the outskirts of Dublin.

Chambers had built the Earl's town house in Dublin in 1763. William Ashford was born at Birmingham but worked a great deal in Ireland, where he painted numerous topographical views and landscapes, particularly of the locality around Dublin.




Exhibitions at The Whitworth

Back to top