The bowl is engraved; 'PATER DE CELIS DEUS MISERE NOBIS', with pomegranate & rosette between each word.

The base is engraved; 'SANCTA MARIA ORA PRO NOBIS' and around the paten rim; 'SANCTA TRINITAS UNUS DEUS MISERE NOBIS'.

Provenance

Discovered during demolition work at Pillaton Hall in 1760. Suggested that the chalice and paten might originally have belonged to St Thomas's Abbey, nr Stafford; The Lord Hatherton.




Exhibitions at V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum)

Back to top