Deysbrook House decorations
- Art Funded
He covered two of the three ceilings with Pompeian ornament, including allegorical figures in roundels on the coves. On the walls he painted nine oblong panels, enclosing figures personifying the Virtues and the Arts. The decoration was fully described and illustrated by Mr. D. S. MacColl in the Architectural Review for December, 1911. In 1939 the House belonged to the Corporation of Liverpool and was used as a hospital. Early in the war it was purchased by the War Office and after the war, in view of the possible demolition of the building, the Corporation obtained permission from the War Office to remove and retain the decorations. The work was carried out in the Spring of 1948 with the Art Fund contributing £2,000 towards its cost. The decorations are now stored in the Walker Art Gallery, with a view to incorporating them ultimately in an Alfred Stevens Room.
Decorations from Deysbrook House, Liverpool, the home of the Blundell family, donated by the War Office. Grant used for the removal and re-installation of decorations.
William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 8EL
0151 478 4199
Daily, 10am – 5pm
Closed 24, 25, 26 and 31 Dec and 1 Jan