This is a study for the stucco releif in the centre of the ceiling of the Galleria di Ercole in the Villa Pamphili, outside Rome, which Algardi decorated in 1646.
Two Putti with the Arms of Camillo Pamphili by Alessandro Algardi, c. 1646
© British Museum
- Pen & brown wash over black chalk Dimensions: 17.8 x 12.2 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £1,565 ( Total: £15,645)
- Acquired in:
- Hazlitt, Gooden and Fox
It is one of only three surviving drawings for the decoration. The other two are already in the British Museum.
Earls of Leicester, Holkham Hall; Christie's 1991; Popham and Lloyd, no. 36.