The cupboard is strongly carved, with bog oak and fruitwood inlays in geometric patterns, its style and detailing suggest it was made in East Anglia by a skilled joiner.
Livery cupboard by Unknown Artist, c. 1620
© The Geffrye Museum of the Home
- Oak inlaid with fruitwood
- 119.5 x 152 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £2,750 ( Total: £11,000)
- Acquired in:
- Cheriton Antiques
The central piece of furniture in the parlour in the 17th century was usually the livery press, used both for storage and as a servery.
Entry details50% off with National Art Pass
The museum is closed to the public for a major, transformational development project. It will reopen in winter 2019.
During closure, the restored almshouse will remain open for tours and a full programme of events will be run in the front gardens.