Pharmacy jar of irregular form, resembling an albarello with an unusually high neck.

The body is almost cylindrical, though a little wide at the top than the bottom. Painted in manganese and bottle green, the body divided vertically into four panels, enclosing alternately a leaf and heart-shaped design. Probably made at Faenza. This work was donated by Max Rosenheim who presented over 170 works to the British Museum through the Art Fund between 1904 and 1911. Max Rosenheim was a financier and part of the Executive Committee of the Art Fund from its inauguration.


British Museum

Great Russell Street, London, Greater London, WC1B 3DG
020 7323 8181
Website

Opening times

Daily, 10am – 5.30pm (Fri until 8.30pm)

Closed 24 – 26 Dec and 1 Jan