Greenwich Palace from the North-East, with a Man-o'-War
- Art Funded
- 14 x 28 cm
The old palace of Placentia stood until 1662 when demolition was begun to make way for the buildings which once housed the Royal Naval College. The two tall towers near the centre of the panel are so-called Armoury Towers: on the hill behind them is indicated the castle built by King Henry VIII and demolished in 1675 to make way for the Observatory.
Dr Robert Hemphill, on loan to the Tate Gallery since 1966, Christie's sale, 13/7/84, lot 74.
Daily, 10am – 5pm. Closes 6pm during summer holidays. Closed 24 – 26 Dec