A view of the church from the north side of the choir looking west down the nave, with part of the south transept visible on the left.

Saenredam broke with the tradition of treating architecture fancifully and made accurate records of specific buildings. The measurements and drawings he did on the spot formed the basis of construction drawings, of which four survive for this painting. Their outlines were then transferred to the panels; in this case six were dowelled together, each approximately 24cm wide by 9 mm thick, to make Saenredam's largest painting.

Provenance

Burgomaster of Amsterdam, Andries de Fraeff; States of Holland and West Friesland; presented with other pictures and sculptures to Charles II in November 1660 as part of the Dutch Gift; Neave family of Dagnam Park, Essex; Major Sir Thomas Neave, by 1934;


Scottish National Gallery

The Mound, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH2 2EL
0131 624 6200
Website

Opening times

Daily, 10am –​ 5pm (until 7pm Thur) Extended opening until 6pm during August



Exhibitions at Scottish National Gallery

Back to top