Statuette of Blaise Pascal (1623- 1662) after a terracotta by Augustin Pajou (1730-1809).
Statuette of Blaise Pascal by Sèvres Porcelain, c. 1784
© Ashmolean Museum
- White biscuit porcelain Dimensions: 32 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £5,000 ( Total: £20,000)
- Acquired in:
- Winifred Williams
Pascal is shown as a scientist contemplating a diagram of cycloid on his tablet, rather than as a theologian. A series of statues of Grands Hommes de France was commissioned by the Cote d'Angiviller, Directeur des Batiments du Roi, in 1776. Prior to their execution in marble, terracotta models were made and from these, versions in biscuit for sale.
Commissioned by the Cote d'Angiviller; Palace of the Tuileries; Gouverner Morris; Mrs Anthony Walton White. Christies 1985.