This cabinet, South German baroque in character, is one of the truly great masterpieces of English furniture.

Not only is the design highly elaborate, but the finest cuts of mahogany have been used and the technical finish is outstanding. There is storage space within the thickness of the doors which is a very unusual design. This cabinet joins a magnificent double serpentine commode. Both pieces stand in the Blue Damask Room, one of the interiors redecorated in festive rococo style by the York school of craftsmen during the 1740’s; its new surroundings therefore provide an ideal setting. This work was acquired with assistance from the Wolfson Foundation.

Provenance

The Murray family of Ochtertyre, Perthshire; sold Christie's, 1949; Major Arthur Bull; beneficiaries of his estate.


Temple Newsam House

Temple Newsam Estate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS15 0AE
0113 336 7461
Website

Opening times

Tues - Sun, 10:30am - 5pm (Farm closes at 4pm)

Last admission 45 minutes before closing

Back to top