This painting represents the interior of William Stark's demolished Hunterian Museum, named after Dr William Hunter (1718-83) who bequeathed a wide range of material including works of art to the University.

The Museum was opened in 1807 in Stark's fine Neo-classical temple. The present Hunterian Museum contains the statue of Watt by Chantrey, the Newcomen Engine as modified by Watt and the early 19th-century chairs to be seen in the picture. This is also a highly interesting genre painting in representing two artisans admiring Chantrey's statue and studying the origin of Watt's most significant invention.


Fine Art Society.

Hunterian Art Gallery

University Of Glasgow, 82 Hillhead Street, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G12 8QQ
0141 330 4221

Opening times

Hunterian Art Gallery Tue–Sat 10am–​5pm, Sun 11am–​4pm. Last entry to Mackintosh House 4.15pm (3.15pm Sun).

Back to top