Apart from a paten and cup, this tankard is the only piece of Norwich silver with the date letter A for 1701 and the Britannia or new sterling mark introduced in 1697.

It also has a lions head and the makers mark HA for Haves, Haselwood, Hartsonge or Harwood. These three pieces were the last to be struck in Norwich because the assay office closed in 1701. The tankard has a rim foot, a scroll handle and a flat-topped stepped hinged cover and corkscrew thumbpiece.


Christie's 20/5/87, lot 395.

Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery

Castle Hill, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 3JU
01603 493625

Opening times

2 Jan – 29 Jun, 1 Oct – 31 Dec
Mon – Sat, 10am – 4.30pm
Sun, 1 – 4.30pm

30 Jun – 30 Sept
Mon – Sat, 10am – 5pm
Sun, 1 – 5pm

Closed 1 Jan, 24 – 26 Dec

Exhibitions at Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery

Back to top