Brill, Wotton and Ludgershall by Edmund John Niemann

Brill was a regional centre for the manufacture of pottery and bricks for centuries.


Oil on canvas
79 x 129 cm
Art Fund grant:
£3,750 ( Total: £15,000)
Acquired in:
W R Harvey & Company

The painting depicts a view looking north-east from Brill Common, with a ruined kiln in the foreground and possibly a second kiln to the left. The date of execution coincides with the final years of the brick industry in Brill and this is the only known view of one of its sites. Fieldwork has shown the village in the middle distance to be Ludgershal, with St. Mary's Church and to its right Bury Court, which was demolished in 1870. Wotton House and its ornamental lake are in the distance to the right.


W.R.Harvey & Co.

Venue details

Buckinghamshire County Museum 9 Church Street, AYLESBURY Buckinghamshire HP20 2QP 01296 331441

Entry details

Free with National Art Pass

Please see website for opening times