Pair of 40 Bore Flintlock, Box-Lock Pocket Pistols
- Art Funded
- 6.3 cm (barrel length)
This pair of 40-bore flintlock pistols was made by the family firm of Elston in Doncaster.
It was probably made around 1770 by Abraham Elston, apprentice to Benjamin Elston.
The pistols belonged to the Warde (later Warde-Norbury) family of Hooton Pagnell Hall, a house in the Yorkshire borough of Doncaster, which has been inhabited by the same family since the 17th century.
The guns now join Doncaster Museum as fine examples of local craftsmanship and former property of one of the borough’s oldest landed families.
From the collection of the Warde-Newbury family. An Art Loss Register certificate has been requested.