Wilhelmina Barns-Graham was born in St Andrews and studied at Edinburgh College of Art.

In 1940, she moved to St Ives, Cornwall, where she became associated with the famous school of abstract art which flourished there.

These two paintings illustrate the development of the Scottish artist’s work over a 23-year period. The earlier painting shows the impact of American Abstract Expressionism on British artists in the 1950s. The later work shows a more minimalist approach to abstraction.

Both paintings now join three other works by the artist in the Pallant House Gallery collection.


Pallant House Gallery

8-9 North Pallant, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 1TJ
01243 774557
Website

Opening times

Tue – Sat, 10am – 5pm Thu, 10am – 8pm Sun and Bank Holidays, 11am – 5pm Closed Mon except Bank Holidays



Exhibitions at Pallant House Gallery

Back to top