- Art Funded
- 1200 × 1200cm
- Gagosian Gallery
This ceiling has been commissioned and completed as part of a major refurbishment of the Queen’s House, a project undertaken to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the building.
At the heart of the building is the Great Hall, a perfect cube with a ceiling measuring 40 feet by 40 feet. Originally the nine panels on ceiling were filled with paintings by Orazio Gentileschi. In 1708 these cavases were given by Queen Anne to her friend Sarah Churchill and until recently the empty panels were painted white.
In 2016 Wright decorated this ceiling with a site-specific artwork which draws on the original features of the building. The artist’s intricate gold-leaf patterns are inspired by the carved and gilded ceilings which Inigo Jones designed for the house. The new work extends beyond the ceiling onto the walls of the Great Hall.
Wright was born in London and studied art in Edinburgh and Glasgow. He is known for his large-scale site-specific installations, including permanent works at the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, and the National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh. He won the Turner Prize in 2009.