- Art Funded
- Height of each: 1) 22.5 cm; 2) 23.2 cm; 3) 22 cm
- Lyon & Turnbull
In 1617, an Act was passed by the Scottish Parliament which required parishes to use silver cups to serve communion wine, leaving many parishes dependent on their congregations to raise the money for the costly plate used in their manufacture. In two of the three examples here - those by Robert Gairdyne and Charles Dickson - wealthy merchants commissioned and presented the cups to the church, thus not only contributing importantly to the continuation of religious practice, but also cementing local status. Unostentatious, and of a well-proportioned 'goblet' style - as opposed to the beaker style prevalent in Aberdeen drawn from German examples - the cups show a distinct southern influence and are evidence of the taste of the period. As such Â– and given their rarity (the Gairdyne cup is the earliest known and dated example of Dundee silversmithing) they represent an important addition to the McManusÂ’ already impressive silver collection, an assemblage of more than 350 pieces, spanning the period from the 17th century to the early twentieth century.
Presented to Steeple Church (previously South Church), Dundee. On loan to the McManus from 1974 to 2005, thereafter returned to the Church.