The panels were originally situated in a sash window in the lobby of Gisburn Park and then framed together possibley arranged by William Peckitt.
Stained glass panels from Gisburne Park by Various, 1756 and 1757
© Stained Glass Museum
- Stained & painted glass
- 1) 21 x 25.5 cm; 2) 20.4 x 23.9 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £8,995 ( Total: £15,321)
- Acquired in:
- George Wigley
They are a mixture of secular and biblical scenes and were probably acquired during a Grand Tour. The panels depicting a dog on a cushion and ornamental flowers are by William Peckitt of York who was one of the most significant glass painters of the Georgian period. His York-based studio is responsible for much of the surviving eighteenth-century glass in the UK. This is the first acquisition of Peckitt's work for the Stained Glass Museum. The other panels are 3) Lady standing beside a horseman possibly Swiss or Flemish 17th century; 4) Daniel in the lion's den by an 17th century Dutch artist; 5) A Galleon flying flags with saltires which may represent Scotland; 6) Christ with two companions blessing a kneeling lady, produced in the Netherlands; 7) Early 19th century roundel with foliate design; 8) Small late 18th or early 19th century panel depicting a putto carring a hind.
Tennants auction, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, 2008; George Wigley.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry £4.50)
Mon – Sat, 12.30am – 4.30pm (last admission 4pm) Sun, 12pm – 4.30pm (last admission 4pm) Closed Good Friday, 25 – 26 Dec