The tureen is decorated with the full arms of the Earl of Camden.

It was made for John Jeffreys Pratt, the son of the prominent lawyer Charles Pratt. John Jeffreys was MP for Bath from 1780-94 succeeding his father as Recorder of Bath, and also Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and Chancellor of Cambridge University. In 1812 he was created Marquess Camden. The porcelain has to be before that date, as it bears an earl’s coronet. The Earl of Camden has a close connection with the city of Bath, where the centre pediment of Camden Crescent, built in the early 1790s, bears the same arms.

Provenance

Mr Michael Locati; Angela Howard. The work has been vetted by the Art Loss Register.


Back to top